OPEC College has a defined complaints and appeals process that will enable students’ complaints and appeals to be addressed effectively and efficiently.
OPEC College strives to ensure that each student is satisfied with their learning experience and outcome. In the unlikely event that this is not the case, all students have access to rigorous, fair and timely complaint and appeal processes which are outlined in this section of the policy and procedures document. Any complaints or appeals will be reviewed as part of the continuous improvement process and where corrective action has been highlighted, it will be implemented as a priority.
A student may lodge a complaint regarding the RTO; Third Party; Subcontractor or Trainer. There is also provision for any and all interested stakeholders to make a complaint if they feel aggrieved. For example, a Trainer may lodge a complaint against a student.
The OPEC College appeals process is concerned with a student’s right to request change to decisions or processes of an official nature, usually in relation to academic or procedural matters.
OPEC College management will maintain a complaints register and an appeals register to document the course of action and resolution of all formal complaints/appeals.
If the student is still not satisfied with the resolution of the complaint after following and exhausting the complaints procedure, the student may contact ASQA and lodge a written complaint.
The form may be submitted by mail to:
Australian Skills Quality Authority
PO BOX 9928
Sydney NSW 2001
Or via email to: complaints [email protected]
Complaints / Appeals Procedure
All persons wishing to make a complaint, appeal or any other manner of objection in relation to the conduct of OPEC College or any third party (such as other students, outsourced trainers, subcontractors, staff, trainers, assessors) have access to the following procedure:
Informal complaint / appeal:
- An initial complaint or appeal will involve the student communicating directly with OPEC College verbally or by other appropriate means.
- All persons identified or subject to a complaint will be notified in writing of the content of the complaint and/or allegation and afforded all natural justice and procedural fairness response mechanisms
- OPEC College management will make a decision, discuss their judgement with the student and record the outcome of the complaint or appeal
- Students dissatisfied with the outcome of OPEC College decision may initiate the formal complaint procedure
Formal complaint / appeal:
- It is normal procedure that all formal complaints proceed only after the initial informal complaint or appeal procedure has been finalised
- The formal complaint or appeal is to be submitted in writing, using the F005 Complaints/Appeals form provided by OPEC College or simply on an email or letter, and the procedure and outcome recorded by OPEC College management
- On receipt of a formal complaint, the CEO or a nominated senior management person independent of the complaint will notify the complainant in writing that they have received the submission
- The GM will convene the complaint committee to hear the complaint
- The complaint committee will consist of a panel of members with no previous involvement or vested interest in the outcome of the particular complaint or appeal. Members of the committee should include:
- A representative of OPEC College management
- An OPEC College staff member
- A person independent of OPEC College
- The complainant / appellant shall be given an opportunity to present the case to the committee and may be accompanied by one (1) other person as support or as representation
- Staff member(s) involved shall be given an opportunity to present their case to the committee and may be accompanied by one (1) other person as support or as representation
- The complaint committee will reach a decision on the complaint or appeal after consideration of each case presented
- The complaint committee will inform all parties involved of the outcome in writing within five (5) working days of making the decision
All complaints and appeals will be reviewed at OPEC College monthly management meeting. Continuous improvement procedures may be actioned when the complaint / appeal procedure results in identification of factors appropriate for improvement to internal operations. When the initial causative factor of the complaint identifies a problem with current OPEC College policies and / or procedures, the continuous improvement procedure will ensure changes are made to prevent reoccurrence of the problem.
In the unusual circumstances where a delay in the complaint or appeal process occurs, where longer than sixty (60) calendar days are required to process and finalise the complaint or appeal, OPEC College will inform the complainant or appellant in writing.
In line with the importance that OPEC College places on open and transparent processes and communication, the first written communication will be made at five (5) days.
From that point, the complainants or appellant will be regularly updated on the progress of the matter. Including reasons why more time is required.